When it comes to searching for the best laptop available on the market for watching movies, you don't need the most expensive and high-end technology to be able to do so.
Mid-range laptops are more than capable of allowing you to watch your favorite movies, but you can invest in a more expensive laptop if you want the highest possible viewing experience.
Ultimately, the laptop that you choose to purchase will depend entirely on your own personal preferences and what you are looking for overall.
You might find everything that you need in a less expensive laptop, but we will list the best laptops for watching movies here that are suitable for a variety of budgets, so you can pick the best one for you.
There are certain features that you should look for in a laptop that will be designed towards providing a high-quality movie experience, and we will tell you all about them in this article.
In a Hurry?
Has your favorite movie just been uploaded to Netflix? We've got you covered.
We can understand why you might want to get a new laptop sooner rather than later so that you can watch all the newly released movies without having to wait even a minute longer than necessary.
Our number one pick for the best laptop for watching movies is the ASUS 14" HD Chromebook Laptop Computer.
This laptop is more budget-friendly than some of the other picks on our list, and it is still capable of providing you with everything that you need for a high-quality viewing experience.
It has excellent specifications with brand new technology and will run smoothly while you watch your favorite movies.
- 14-inch NanoEdge display
- 1366×768 resolution
- Anti-glare screen for better viewing
- Supports HD video playback
- Dual high-quality stereo speakers
- Intel HD Graphics
Best Laptops for Watching Movies - Reviews
1. ASUS 14" HD Chromebook Laptop Computer
This 14-inch laptop has a HD 180 degrees NanoEdge display, with a 1266×768 resolution that provides impressive color and clarity. This is perfect for allowing you to watch movies, and you won't need much more than this for a successful experience.
It even has anti-glare properties within the screen, so you can watch all day long without straining your eyes.
This laptop has an Intel Celeron N3350 Processor with an ultra-low voltage platform, with dual-core processing that provides the most efficient power to go.
It has 4GB of DDR4 RAM, which is plenty of high-bandwidth RAM that will allow you to stream movies without annoying lag. It has 32GB of flash memory, and it supports high-definition video playback, making it more than suitable for your needs.
The laptop has Intel HD Graphics with shared video memory that provides solid image quality for internet use and watching movies.
There are also high-quality dual stereo speakers that work to provide excellent audio that isn't muffled. A headphone/microphone combo jack can be found on the side of the laptop so you can plug in your headphones when you want to watch movies while in public places.
- NanoEdge display with anti-glare
- Plenty of RAM for streaming movies
- Supports HD video playback
- Integrated HD Graphics for solid image quality
- High-quality dual speakers for great audio
- Battery life is not the most long-lasting
Buy Here: Amazon
2. HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop
This laptop provides you with realistic graphics that will enhance your viewing experience through the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. You can even stream movies online without struggling through lag.
You really do get everything that you could possibly need with this laptop, and it has a 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD IPS anti-glare screen.
You can watch all day long without your eyes becoming fatigued, and you can see the stunning visuals that this laptop has to offer.
The 1920 x 1080 resolution display has a 60Hz refresh rate and a 79% screen to body ratio. Movies are shown at just 24 frames per second, and a 60Hz monitor is more than capable of handling this.
This laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Processor that can improve your overall performance and allow you to have multiple tasks and applications open in the background while you are watching.
The laptop is thin, lightweight, and portable, so you can take it with you on the go with ease and watch movies while you are traveling or waiting around.
The long battery life is impressive and can last up to 12.5 hours during standard use, which gives you more than enough time to get through multiple films.
You will also receive a high level of bandwidth that works with both speed and efficiency and won't let you down with 8GB of DDR4 to support you while you stream. Your purchase even comes with a one-year limited hardware warranty.
- Provides you with realistic graphics
- Full HD IPS anti-glare screen
- Helps to eliminate eye strain and fatigue
- The laptop is thin, lightweight, and easily portable
- The battery life of up to 12.5 hours
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
- Fans are known to run quite loudly
Buy Here: Amazon HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 15.6" Full HD, Windows 10 Home, Backlit Keyboard (15-ec1010nr, 2020 Model)
- REALISTIC GAMING GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated). Get all the power you need for a fast, smooth, power-efficient gaming laptop experience. 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit display, 250 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080) with 60Hz refresh rate; 79% screen to body ratio
- AMD RYZEN MOBILE PROCESSOR: Uplift your performance and multitask seamlessly with accelerated power and efficiency, while enjoying stunning HD visuals. AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Processor, 3 GHz base clock up to 4 GHz max boost clock
- HIGHER BANDWIDTH MEMORY & FAST BOOTUP WITH SOLID-STATE DRIVE: Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a speedier laptop gaming experience with the internal 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (2 accessible M.2 slots, 1 available), and higher bandwidth, speed and efficiency with 8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, 2 accessible memory slots upgradable to 32 GB , 2 x 16 GB)
- THIN, LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE GAMING LAPTOP WITH LONG BATTERY LIFE (unpackaged): 14.17 inches (W) x 10.12 inches (D) x 0.93 inch (H); 4.37 pounds. Up to 12 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage); up to 11 hours (video playback); up to 8 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming), 3-cell 52.5 WH LI-ion polymer battery
- LAPTOP GAMING CONNECTIVITY: With a Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) WLAN adapter and Bluetooth 5.0, all your connections are rock solid. MU-MIMO supported SuperSpeed USB Type-C 5Gbps signaling rate, SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, USB 2.0 Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge), Ethernet (RJ-45), 3.5mm Headphone/microphone combo, AC Smart pin, HDMI 2.0, multi-format SD media card reader
3. 2020 Lenovo Yoga C740 2-in-1 14" FHD Touchscreen Laptop Computer
This laptop has a 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10210U Processor, so you can leave all your tabs open in the background without affecting the playing of the movie. It has a 14-inch display, which is smaller than some other picks on this list but will still provide enough viewing space.
It is worth noting that there is no HDMI port, so you can't connect it to your TV if you wanted to view it on a bigger screen.
It has an anti-glare feature to protect your eyes while viewing and has integrated graphics for better image quality.
There is 8GB of DDR4 RAM for full-power to help you if you are streaming movies or videos online, and there is a headphone/microphone combo port so you can plug in your favorite pair of headphones if you need to.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10210U Processor
- Anti-glare feature to protect your eyes and allow for wider viewing angles
- 8GB DDR4 RAM to help you stream movies without lag
- Has a headphone/microphone port for plugging in headphones
- No HDMI port for connecting your laptop to the TV
Buy Here: Amazon 2020 Lenovo Yoga C740 2-in-1 14" FHD Touchscreen Laptop Computer, Intel Quad-Core i5-10210U (Beats i7-7500U), 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Windows 10, BROAGE 64GB Flash Stylus, Online Class Ready
- CPU: 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10210U Processor @ 1.60GHz (4 Cores, 6M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz).
- Display: 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 300nits Anti-glare, Dolby Vision, 10-point Multi-touch; Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics.
- 8GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM Memory for full-power multitasking; 256GB PCIe SSD Solid State Drive. Pci-e SSDs are great for major gaming applications, multiple servers, daily backups, and more.
- Intel 9560 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0; 2 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (power delivery, DisplayPort), USB-A 3.1 Gen 1, Headphone/mic combo.
4. HP Stream 14" HD Laptop Computer
The HP Stream laptop has a 14-inch diagonal HD display with a 1366 x 768 resolution that provides you with crisp and clear images with impressive color accuracy when you are watching your favorite movies.
It also features anti-glare, like most other modern laptops, and has an Intel Celeron N4020 dual-core processor that provides maximum high-efficiency power.
It has 4GB of DDR4 RAM, which is plenty of high-bandwidth RAM for you to smoothly play movies while streaming them through online platforms.
It supports high-definition video playback to suit all your viewing needs and has Intel Graphics with shared video memory that provides solid image quality for Internet use and watching movies.
There are built-in stereo speakers that will provide you with great quality audio, and there is a HDMI port so that you can connect it to the TV to watch on a bigger screen.
- Diagonal HD display with a 1366 x 769 resolution
- Provides crisp and clear images
- Has high color accuracy
- High-speed processor for maximum power
- Supports high-definition video playback
- Has a HDMI port so you can connect your laptop to the TV
- Users have noted that darker scenes in movies are harder to view
Buy Here: Amazon 2021 HP Stream 14" HD Laptop Computer, Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-core Processor, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 64GB eMMC, Intel HD Graphics, 1 Year Office 365, Webcam, HDMI, Windows 10S, White, 128GB SnowBell USB Card
- 14" diagonal HD Display, 1366 x 768 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity, Anti-glare Energy-efficient WLED screen.
- Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-Core Processor, Ultra-low-voltage platform. Dual-core, two-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go.
- 4GB DDR4 RAM, Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games as well as multiple programs. 64GB eMMC flash memory, This ultracompact memory system is ideal for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback.
- Standard Keyboard, Allows you to enjoy comfortable and accurate typing. Intel Graphics with shared video memory provide solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming. Stereo speakers & Built-In Camera with Built-In Microphone.
- Windows 10 S included. 3-cell Lithium-ion battery, 13.3" x 8.9" x 0.7", 3.22 lbs. 2x USB 3.1 Type A, 1x USB 2.0 Type A, 1x HDMI output expands your viewing options, 1x Headphone/microphone combo jack, 1x Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer. Wireless-AC and Bluetooth, White, Bonus 128GB SnowBell USB Card.
5. Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15.6" FHD Touchscreen Laptop Computer
Our final pick on this list of the best laptops for watching movies is the Lenovo IdeaPad that has a 15.6-inch display in Full High Definition. It also supports anti-glare and has a 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor that is super fast.
There is an impressive 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM, that will provide you with a lag-free experience when you stream movies online.
There is a HDMI port, so if you want to chill out in your room while watching a movie, you can connect it to the TV for a larger screen to view it on.
There is a headphone jack where you can plug in your headphones if you are viewing in public or late at night and don't want to play the sound out loud.
- Large display with Full HD
- Has the anti-glare feature
- A high amount of 16GB of DDR4 RAM to aid while streaming
- HDMI port so you can connect to the TV
- Headphone port so you can watch in public
- Battery life isn't as long as the company states
Buy Here: Amazon Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop Computer, Intel Quad-Core i5-10210U (Beats i7-8665U), 12GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, Webcam, Almond, Windows 10, BROAGE 64GB Flash Stylus
- CPU: 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10210U Processor @ 1.60GHz (4 Cores, 6M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
- 15.6" Touchscreen LCD with LED-Backlit Anti-Glare HD (1366 x 768) Display; Intel UHD Graphics; 720p Webcam with Privacy Shutter, 2x, Array Microphone and Stereo speakers, 1.5W x2, Dolby Audio Ideal for Home, Student, Professionals, Small Business, School Education, and Commercial Enterprise, Online Class, Google Classroom, Remote Learning, Zoom Ready.
- 12GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM Memory for full-power multitasking; 1TB HDD 5400rpm 2.5". This electronic gift, holiday gift offers a good experience for watching videos, browsing the web, remote work, or study from home.
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 (2x2/160) Gig+ and Bluetooth 5.0; 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x SD Media Card Reader, 1x Headphone/Microphone Jack
- ▌Authorized BROAGE Bundle ▌Bundled with BROAGE 3 In 1 Design Stylus (Stylus Pen + Ballpoint Pen + USB 3.0 64GB Flash Drive), Authorized Sellers ONLY. Windows 10 Home 64, English; Almond
Best Laptops for Watching Movies Buyer's Guide
How to Choose the Best Laptop for Watching Movies
The purpose of this laptop is something that you are really going to need to consider. Of course, anyone who wants to get a laptop for watching movies will need to consider the relevant specifications before making a decision.
How you are watching these movies can also have an impact if you are streaming or downloading them, as different laptop components can help with this.
We will leave everything that you need to know here so that you can make an informed decision and be aware of the components that you will need to factor into your decision making.
The display is arguably the most important thing to consider in terms of screen size and resolution.
For better graphics and visuals while watching movies, you are going to need a full HD resolution display. You can settle for normal HD, but the quality may suffer ever so slightly.
You will also probably be looking at a laptop that is at least 14-inches in screen size, but this is not essential, as it mostly depends on how big of an area you would like to view your films on.
There are three main components that you will need to compare when it comes to watching movies on laptops, which are the processor, RAM, and the graphics card.
The processor is really important as it will determine the ability of the laptop when you are running multiple applications at once.
If you have a tonne of browser tabs open alongside your favorite movie, a processor will need to be able to handle this all at once.
The most powerful processors are usually those that have been released more recently, as they use newer and faster technology than those older models.
They will be able to run multiple applications with ease, even when a lot is required from your system. Weaker processors can easily become overloaded, which will interrupt your viewing.
In terms of RAM, you will need enough RAM to support the performance of the processor. RAM will actually work in harmony with the processor to deliver high performance, depending on the task at hand.
Both the RAM and the processor need to be high quality if you are planning on running streaming platforms like Netflix or Disney+, that can be a drain on your system.
For the task of watching movies, it is advised to get a laptop that has at least 4GB of RAM for the very best results. You don't really need much more than around 8GB, but you can choose to if you feel it is necessary.
Another essential internal component for the hardware of your laptop is the graphics card. The graphics card will determine the productivity of the laptop and has an important role in the output and the display.
A high capacity graphics card will be able to improve overall productivity while also providing excellent visuals, which is perfect for watching movies.
Finally, you will need to find out what the battery life of your chosen laptop is and compare it to those with similar specifications. Usually, the battery life will give you an indicator of how long the laptop will run from a full battery during regular use.
However, this does not account for how long the battery life will last if you are watching movies, which is slightly more demanding, and will cause the battery to run out slightly faster.
It is probably a good idea to carry your laptop charger with you when you are out with your laptop, just in case your battery dies right in the middle of the movie.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Gaming Laptops Good for Watching Movies?
This will depend on what you will be using your laptop for. If you are simply using a laptop for more casual use, then a gaming laptop is probably a little bit excessive.
These types of laptops come with some of the best features that are designed for intensive use, which means that they are at a higher cost.
If you don't actually intend to watch movies on your gaming laptop often, you will likely be able to find all of the specifications that you need in a much cheaper laptop.
However, if you are planning on using your laptop for watching movies and completing other high-demanding tasks on a daily basis, then you could actually benefit from a gaming laptop.
This is because the better specs will actually help you to run demanding software more easily, without lag.